Proposed Project: Kauhale o Waipouli
Aloha Habitat supporters – we have exciting news and we need your help!
Since we began to gain momentum with our Eleele Iluna subdivision project seven years ago, and Waimea Huakai recently, our Board of Directors and Management have made it a priority to look for other parcels of land so that we can continue providing truly affordable homes for our community.
We are happy to announce that after researching several leads, we intend to purchase two parcels of land in Waipouli totaling 36,861 square feet (.85 acres) and have submitted a Special Management Area permit for review by the Planning Commission.
Our best use of the property is detailed below:
- Construction of 17 two-story housing units containing 8 duplexes and 1 single-family residence, plus associated site improvements
- The property is in a higher density area than Habitat normally builds and the current zoning is R20 (residential, 20 units per acre). With 0.85 acres, we are permitted to build 17 units.
- The duplex model is the most affordable type of home that Habitat can provide due to building codes, building setbacks (spacing requirement), and other considerations.
- These units will also provide the most comfortable living for families and provide the parking (2 spaces per unit) inside the duplex building area beneath each unit.
- Due to spacing and required setbacks, the proposed unit types are: 12 three-bedroom and 5 two-bedroom units
- At least 13 of the 17 units will be sold at and below 80% of Kauai County AMI, while the remaining 4 units will be sold below 115% AMI.
Help support affordable homeownership and voice your opinion in favor of our Waipouli project! Please read on to see how you can help share your voice to our Planning Commission, who will be voting on this project.
Location of Proposed Project Site:
- Accessible via Kuhio Highway and Wana Road. Future access will be restricted via Wana Road only.
- The site is bounded on the north by residential properties.
- On the south, it is bounded by Wana Road and a multi-story condominium complex composed of residences and vacation rentals.
- On the east, by Niulani Road it is bounded by a single-family residence and a vacant lot.
- On the west, it is bounded by Kuhio Highway.
Because of the location of the property, Kauai Habitat has prepared and submitted a Special Management Area Use Permit (SMA (U)-2021-8) for the development of this affordable housing project. Our scheduled date to appear before the Planning Commission for public hearing on this project is July 13, 2021 at 9:00am. The purpose of the hearing is to present the project and hear testimony and comments from all interested persons.
You should know that we do have a couple of residents who have voiced concerns and objections to the Commission due to Kapaa traffic in adding 17 more units to Wana Rd. You can find these objection letters in the posted hearing materials. The links are included at the end of this message.
Some important project details to note:
- The proposed Kauhale o Waipouli project provides an additional 17 much needed and truly affordable housing units.
- Habitat is not asking for any changes to current zoning.
- The building heights are within regulations.
- Habitat is not requesting any other exemptions.