Kauhale o Waipouli
Kauai Habitat’s purchase of two parcels of land in Waipouli totaling 36,861 square feet (.85 acres) has been completed, and a Special Management Area permit was approved and issued by the County of Kaua`i Planning Commission.
Self-help Project Details:
- 17 two-story housing units containing 8 duplexes and 1 single-family residence, plus associated site improvements
- The property is in a higher density area than Habitat normally builds and the current zoning is R20 (residential, 20 units per acre). With 0.85 acres, we are permitted to build 17 units.
- The duplex model is the most affordable type of home that Habitat can provide due to building codes, building setbacks (spacing requirement), and other considerations.
- These units will also provide the most comfortable living for families and provide the parking (2 spaces per unit) inside the duplex building area beneath each unit.
- Due to spacing and required setbacks, the proposed unit types are: 12 three-bedroom and 5 two-bedroom units
- At least 13 of the 17 units will be sold at and below 80% of Kaua`i County AMI, while the remaining 4 units will be sold below 115% AMI.
- Permanently Affordable Living Kauai (PAL) is a co-developer on this project and has an option to build 4 units at below 115% AMI.
Location of Project Site:
- Accessible via Kuhio Highway and Wana Road. Future access will be restricted via Wana Road only.
- The site is bounded on the north by residential properties.
- On the south, it is bounded by Wana Road and a multi-story condominium complex composed of residences and vacation rentals.
- On the east, by Niulani Road it is bounded by a single-family residence and a vacant lot.
- On the west, it is bounded by Kuhio Highway.