2 AmeriCorps Construction Crew Leader positions available at Kaua`i Habitat for Humanity! Open to the public. Work period is from September 2012-August 2013, Tuesdays-Saturdays. Details below, full job description on website. Interested applicants should contact us by email
• Assign volunteers with specific tasks and jobs, instruct the volunteers by example, and coordinate projects and tasks with the Construction Staff.
• Recruit and select local volunteers (especially the many retired volunteers) to train them to be volunteer crewleaders.
• Assist in the execution of all aspects of building a Habitat house from lot clearing to final inspections and punch list;
• Assist with the home assessment and project management for Critical Home Repair.
• Relate to volunteers and homeowners as a mentor and trainer, patiently instructing and encouraging others in task and participation within the construction process; working alongside the volunteers when opportunity allows.
• Follow HFH’s method of construction using the provided construction manual and maintain Habitat equipment, as assigned.
• Promote partnership among all participants in the Habitat program, giving special attention to the needs and concerns of homeowners; and enhancing communication between staff, volunteers, and homeowners.
• Assist in planning for each service day to insure that all necessary resources – material and human – are available to complete the task list; performing tasks that are the team priorities.
• Maintain worksite for cleanliness and safety.Education/Experience/Knowledge/Skills required for this position
• Some construction experience is preferable, but willing to train.
• Valid Driver’s License w/ no serious related convictions, able to drive a standard transmission is ideal.
• Strong verbal communication skills.
• Experience with power tools, or willing to learn.
• Experienced in leading others on community service/volunteer type projects.
• Experienced working as a team member on a community service/volunteer project.
• Able to work with minimal supervision.
• Able to plan, organize and implement multiple tasks simultaneously.